Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate in the strangest places...

From: Chris Williams <chrisw@wwa.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 13:59:04 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Kate in the strangest places...
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

   I do a daily search through the news spool for any articles
with the words "kate" and "bush" in close proximity. Occesionally
I find her name in some surprising places. The most interesting
recent one is in alt.politics.sex; the Celebacy FAQ.

   Kate appears in question #7:

7: Alternatives to Sex

	To be serious, there is a big disadvantage of celibacy that has to
be watched out for: people look to sex for that sense of doing something
*different* or forbidden; the adrenalin rush; the feeling of being
*naughty*. To have an ongoing celibate lifestyle you have to find some
reliable way to create that feeling.
	Dancing, yoga or dangerous sports all qualify in being physical
and exhilarating. A less obvious possibility is a once a month gut-blowout
with cocktails and fudge sundaes. Don't just eat: *feast!* (and remember
to do some dangerous sports afterwards to work off the calories)
	Anything which breaks you temporarily out of your routine and makes
you feel alive is a good idea. Another example is having a ridiculously
long bath, wrapping yourself up in a towel, putting on some loud music (I
recommend "The Big Sky" by Kate Bush or "Cherry" by Curve) and jumping
	Modern culture often expects us to make everything that we do in
public into a dull routine, and then use sex and intimacy to break up that
routine. We need to see through the falsehood that only sex can provide
that exhilaration or aliveness.

   Myself, I'd consider Kate a poor choice for celebate listening.

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb