Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kashka Plus ++

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 97 19:27:00 G
Subject: Kashka Plus ++
To: "'Love Hounds'" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 44 TEXT

Hi folks - just back from a week away, and there's over 200 emails on Kate
waiting. Bliss.

Interesting to see the correspondence on Kashka. I don't know whether Kate
has a higher than average gay following, but it wouldn't suprise me. Most of
my gay friends are Kate fans, but then maybe I'm just selective about my
friends.

Suprised that no-one has mentioned the gay references in "Wow"  (and
explicit reference to two men shagging which got the video banned from the
UK "Top of the Pops"). "He'll never make the Sweeny/Be that movie queen/He's
too busy hitting the vaseline" .  The last line of this accompanied, of
course, by Kate smirking and patting her backside. Gave me a turn watching
that on telly when I was about 15, trying to work out whether or not to
"come out" to my mum and dad watching it with me.

Del's already mentioned "Queen Eddie" (bizarre track) but the early version
of Kashka in the same set of demos is also interesting.  The lines running
into the 2nd chorus "'cos when all the alley cats come out/I can hear music
from Kashka's house" are replaced in the early version by "What would I do
if I was seen?/What would I do if they know my feelings?". Although the
usual version is a positive declaration about their love (in the same way as
the comments about the moon, which Robb mentioned) the early version
identifies the singer much more as a person with some involvement, rather
than purely an observer. I can't think of any other tracks where Kate takes
such a "watcher" or "voyeur" role when she sings as in the album version.

Disagree with Del re "Eat the Music". Kate is interested about the interplay
of what she sees as "male" and "female" energy in all of us, and has written
about this often. (And in RUTH in particular). This is not the same  a t   a
l l  as writing about lesbian or gay characters.

Oh, and maybe I'm being sensitive.  But.   Kate didn't "admit" Kashka was
gay any more than she "admitted" that WH was based on a film of a book by
Emily Bronte. It's simply a fact. And Kate wouldn't "even" degrate (sic) a
gay relationship. She just wouldn't do it.  Lecture over.

Interesting that Kate writes on a gay threme in some of her very earliest
music. Gay friends? Or purely a liberal outlook and wide-ranging interest.
Anyone know?     If you've any more thoughts on this I'd be interested.

Love,
     Mike