Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Tribute Evening

From: Stephen Golden <stephen.golden@gs.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:14:48 GMT
Subject: Kate Tribute Evening
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hello everyone!

Last night in London there was a "tribute to Kate" at a gay & lesbian
pub night called Duckie at the Royal Vauxhall Tavern.  It's a pub/club
that predominantly plays odd gems from the 70's and 80's.  This week they
focused the night on Kate.

I got there right as it was starting...and they were playing the Christmas
special on the projection screen.  Unfortunately, the sound was off and
music was provided by a DJ.  One of my friends asked me why Kate couldn't
lip synch properly when the DJ was playing "Wedding List" and Kate was
singing Ran Tan Waltz.

Anyway, they played a Kate song every 40 minutes or so.  There was
also a cabaret act who performed "Kashka From Baghdad" and "Cloudbusting".
His singing wasn't very good and his musical acompaniement ( a guitarist )
was worse.  Still, it was fun.  Oh yeah, the singer said he had faxed
Kates management and they faxed back that Kate was too busy to comment,
but was touched by the tribute ( or something like that ).

Finally, they had a Kate karaoke contest.  Three people had to sing along
with a Kate video while wearing a "Kate frock" and a "Kate wig".  The
audience was really getting into it...especially during "Wow" and
"Wuthering Heights".

The only other comment I can make is that the host of the evening, Amy Lame
( pronounced La May ) who is from the US asked us to excuse her lack
of knowledge about Kate because the only Americans who know Kate are
Star Trek and Dr. Who fans ( and being a Kate/Dr. Who/Star Trek American
fan I couldn't really argue ).

See y'all later!

-- Stephen

|Stephen Golden                 +44 (0171) 774 2529             |
|Goldman Sachs International    e-mail:stephen.golden@gs.com    |
|Compliance Technology                                          |