Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Seeking and Mixman

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 13:09:01 -0600
Subject: Re: Seeking and Mixman
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> I have heard from two rather reliable sources who have met Kate in
>person that she has a large (one might say disfiguring?) scar on one side
>of her face.

Chris answers:

>>   Complete nonsense. Kate *does* have an adorable *dimple* on her
>>cheek. I've stood less than 2' from her on a couple of occasions,

lucky man! ("how does she smell?  with her nose, you idiot!")

>>handed
>>her videotapes and things to sign. I've also seen photos of Kate working
>>out, Kate putting on her make-up and various other unprepared,
>>unretouched shots. From what I could see, her skin is damn near
>>flawless, a classic "English Rose".

That's the description I get too.

>>Christ! Where do people get this stuff?

Because under certain lighting and in some photographs, the dimple
is very prominent.  It shows up when she smiles.  It wasn't as
prominent when she was younger.  But if the lighting is just right
or just wrong, it is very evident.  When one watches the interview
for The Sensual World from VH-1, it shows.

Karen writes:

>Well, being of a skeptical nature and thinking the Mixman sounded like it
>was too good to be true, I e-mailed them . . . for your enlightenment here
>is the reply:

>>>With regards to remixing from your CDs, it is impossible to do.

Strictly speaking, that is true with regards to remixing track for
track.
There is a device that allows one to filter and get rid of
vocals, but it doesn't work very well.  You see it advertised i
magazines still.    It is possible to isolate some
parts of a sound using frequency filters, but you would not
be happy with the final results.  The problem is the frequencies will
overlap and you won't get just one instrument but portions of each.

In the old days of four and three track recording, portions of the
tracks were mixed together and sent to one side or the other of a
pseudo stereo image so overdubs were clearer.  Most of the Beatles
albums are like that, so you can use your stereo pan control to
isolate some parts of the original.

BTW:  this kind of Mixman remix control is becoming a standard feature
for multimedia music CDs.  I think Peter Gabriel uses that.  So, if
kate ever decides to go more hi-tech, she can do this if she likes.
There is a big art debate over reader vs author presentation that has
aspects of that issue.

len