Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Polish postcard singles

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 10 Mar 97 10:30:30 EST
Subject: Polish postcard singles
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hey Now,

   Last friday I FINALLY got my hands on a few of those elusive Polish
postcard singles.  I have two different postcards with Babooshka and 2
different postcards with James And the Cold Gun.  I can only trust that
those two songs are in fact etched in the vinyl.  I can't actually play
these postcard because the grooves are actually of smaller diameter than
a standard LP label.  My turntable arm cannot go that far towards the
center spindle of the turntable.

   The postcards themselves depict artwork....totally unrelated to the
songs that are laminated on them.   I guess the company that manufactures
these "less than ligit." items will simply take any old postcard.

   I also got a few Pink Floyd postcards and a Beatles postcard...which isn't
really a postcard but rather a "slab" of brown plastic (yuk!).

   There are no serial numbers to be found on the postcards and no
manufacturer's logo either.

   I also got the Polish Tonpress flexi single of Babooshka, the one with
pictures of Bulls on it.  Serial # R-1074.   It came in a nice paper
outersleeve
with a picture of some kind of flower (lily?).  The single is one-sided with
the song on the picture side.     It's made in the same fashion as the
postcards except tthat the it's the size of a regular 7" single (square).

   Finally,  I got a Russian magazine called Krugosor (I think).  There are
6 double-sided flexi discs inside including Babooshka.  There's also a full
page article on Kate....but it's written in Russian.  Anybody out there read
Russian?  I can send you a photocopy of the article.   The flexi singles are
light blue coloured...a lot like the Russion single of Babooshka
(Melodiya  T62-09813-14).

peace

ron