Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Cathy Demos CD?

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:26:48 -0800
Subject: Re: Cathy Demos CD?
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Charles Vance / Lisa Connelly wrote:

> Just a few questions from a longtime lurker on the group (and a Kate fan
> ever since her SNL performance almost 20 years ago):
>
> 1)  Are the Cathy Demos available on CD?
> 2)  Are any other Kate boots/unofficial recordings available on CD?
> 3)  Anyone got any to sell?

1) Yes, they are available in a few different packages. The two
I have are "Shrubberies" and "Home Demos." I recommend "Home
Demos" over "Shrubberies" because there are more tracks, and it
is enclosed in a regular CD jewel case instead of just a
cardboard "booklet" case with the plastic inset. I know that
there is also a difference in sound -- but quality is not going
to be great with any boot of the Cathy demos.

2) Yes, there are several of her 1979 tour, all made obsolete by
the release of the "Live From Hammersmith Odeon" Video/CD pack
which would present better quality than a bootleg could. There
are also many boots of her b-sides: TWWI and TWWII (which were
just rerecorded from the 'official CDs of the same names from
the box set), TWWIII (which features 10 tracks, mostly Red Shoes
b-sides, and has no 'official' version other than the CD singles
themselves) and TWW 'Live' (17 tracks of Kate performing live
from various TV shows and benefits,). There are other boots of
her b-sides, but these were made obsolete by the above. And
finally, "Collaborations" features some truly rare works of
other artists who feature Kate (sometimes she's hard to hear) on
b'vocals.

3) No way! Try an online store, though, like CDnow, CD world, CD
Banzai, etc.

Robb