Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

From: "Alan Chamberlin" <abckid@ix.netcom.com>
Date: 18 Jan 1997 10:27:33 GMT
Subject: Re: Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Rialcnis2 <rialcnis2@aol.com> wrote in article
<19970105013000.UAA06272@ladder01.news.aol.com>...
> What does Kevin Bacon have to do with anything.....just trying to
> understand..?
>
> David C

It goes back to a film of a few years ago call "Six Degrees of Separation."
 In this film a con artist, played by Will Smith, proposes a theory that
all people can find a relationship to each other within 6 links.

Let's take Suzy.  Suzy knows Bob.  Bob works in a automobile shop.  That
automobile shop buys its parts from Parts'R'Us.  My cousin Joe works at
Parts'R'Us.

Therefore I am 4 degrees of separation from Suzy.

Now where does Kevin Bacon fit into this.  Well, some enterprising Kevin
Bacon fans determined that any actor or actress also has a connection to
Kevin Bacon within 6 links.  There's even a home page on this.  Enter you
actor/actress and it will spit back how many degrees of Bacon that person
is (how many steps.)

I believe Kate is 3 last time I checked.

--
Alan Chamberlin
----

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
Santayana