Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why Is She Ill?

From: "Alan Chamberlin" <abckid@IX.Netcom.com>
Date: 10 Jan 1997 06:28:35 GMT
Subject: Re: Why Is She Ill?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Dave Watkins <nth-wave@easynet.co.uk> wrote in article
<v01530501aef95dcf4c9d@[194.154.98.181]>...
> >  ...  I can
> >> only surmise that Kate intentionally used a left-hand drive vehicle
because
> >> it was the only way in which to make the video transitions from table
> >> car to stretcher seamless.
> >
> >Wouldn't she have used a left-hand drive car simply because SHAB is set
in
> >the US?
> >
> >                - Craig @ SCO near London.
>

> no...because I think that the TWW video has nothing to do with SHAB - i
> think that it's a different situation with Kate being rushed to hospital.
>
> I mean does anyone know what happens to her in the vid.  It's pretty
> obvious that she's ok at the end judging from the look on the nurse and
Tim
> whatshisname's face.
>
> Dave

She is pregnant in the video.  She is going into labor.

Everyone is happy at the end because she came through delivery
successfully.

Not suprisingly, considering the film it was written for, the song explores
from the husband's view reservations about the changes in his married life
that will come with the birth of their child.  (Remember that this song was
played over a pacing Kevin Bacon as his wife was in labor during the film.)

	"Pray God you can cope.
	 I stand outside this woman's work,
	 This woman's world.
	 Ooh, it's hard on the man
	 Now his part is over
	 Now starts the craft of the father."

and later:

	"I should be hoping but I can't stop thinking
	 Of all the things I should've said
	 That I never said,
	 All the things we should've done
	 That we never did,
	 All the things I should've given
	 But I didn't
	 Oh, darling, make it go,
	 Make it go away."

It took me awhile to warm up to The Sensual World but I find it to be one
of the most emotionally fulfilling of Kate's albums.  With songs like this
and "Right Down The Middle", "Love and Anger", etc.  Kate very keenly
addresses the subject of adult emotions and concerns.  (Read middle aged)

In this regard I find this album and the latest Bonnie Raitt albums very
fulfilling because they don't deal with teen angst.  We are seeing the
maturing of two very powerful singer/songwriters.  As they move into more
mature subject matter I look forward to hearing these voice speak more
directly to me.

	"He thought he was gonna die
	But he didn't
	She thought she just couldn't cope
	But she did
	We thought it would be so hard
	But it wasn't ..... it wasn't easy though!"

	from "Walk Straight Down the Middle"

--
Alan Chamberlin
----

"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."
Santayana