Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Left-hand Drive

From: heath@homemail.com (Heath David Hart)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 16:05:56 GMT
Subject: Re: Left-hand Drive
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

wcben@aol.com (WC BEN) wrote:

>what???

>do you mean that shot couldn't have been completed from right to left
>instead of left to right?

Left-to-right movement (from the audience's viewpoint)  is pretty much

the norm in music videos;  perhaps it's a holdover from lexicographic
media.

Examples:
 - "The Sensual World" is a perfect example of this.
 - The last scene of "Running Up That Hill"
 - The automobile in "Cloudbusting"
 - Most of the 'chasing' in _The Line, The Cross, and The Curve_
 - Kate turning to face the cello in "Babooshka".

Given the importance of the dinner table-car-hospital scene in
the video, I can see how the scene needed to flow as readily
as possible.

Heath
(btw:  I've been gone from this group a long time, but finally
have access again.  It's good to be home!)