Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Songs have life

From: Rod Kratochwill <Rod.Kratochwill@itron.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 07:35:07 -0500
Subject: Songs have life
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Ariusz Nowak wrote:

>For me almost every demo is great. I was very surprised how "adult" they
>are as for 15-16-year old girl. I hope one day Kate will record the album
with
>such kind of songs - just Kate and piano only...

I am hoping that Kate's early songs have the same 'life' as Jane Siberry's.
 The liner notes that Jane wrote for her CD _Teenager_ make me realize the
life that Kate's early Demo songs have:

"I'm not sure when I became aware of these songs wanting to finally be
recorded, but they must have been waiting nearby for a few months."

So we need to be talking to the songs.  Let the songs know that it is
getting to be time for them to be recorded.  Try to help the songs feel the
need to be recorded.

The timing is also just about correct...

"In recording these songs as a fresh 40 year old being"

And of course it will be just Kate and the Piano as I assume the songs will
help Kate feel the same way Jane felt...

"I found that I went right back into the same guitar playing, piano
playing, harmonies, and simple vocalizing of the times when I wrote and
played these songs.  Nothing extra was needed, wanted."

We must help the songs.

Rod

 Rodney Kratochwill            Senior Engineer
 Rod.Kratochwill@itron.com      (800)-635-8725
                           FAX: (813)-535-6441
 Itron, Inc.               Clearwater, Florida