Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

in search of peter pan

From: "Brian J. Dillard" <dillardb@pilot.msu.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 15:10:46 -0300
Subject: in search of peter pan
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

ScottWeb <scwebb@npi.net> wrote:

It's also interesting that on Lionheart, instead of using some of these
songs, she recorded more immature songs like "In Search of Peter Pan".
---end of quote---

As an unrepentant fan of the entire, oft-maligned Lionheart CD, I must
protest. "In Search of Peter Pan" is not am immature song. It is a song
about wanting to return to the innocence of childhood - or wanting to
experience a mythical childhood innocence that really never existed.
Like many of Kate's best "literary" songs, ISOPP works on its own but
works even better if the listener has some knowledge of the source
material (think "The Infant Kiss").

I would agree that a song like "Oh England, My Lionheart," although well
written (with moving narrative details), is in some respects "childish."
Kate has, I believe, disavowed the simplistic nationalistic sentiments
herself.

I just don't think ISOPP is the best example of a "childish" Kate song -
on Lionheart or any other album.

Brian
Dillardb@pilot.msu.edu