Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Which demo ???

From: ScottWeb <scwebb@npi.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:34:16 -0600
Subject: Re: Which demo ???
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

The Cathy "Phoenix Tape" demos are fantastic because of the intimate,
personal quality.  Kate's voice is more relaxed and natural than any of
the studio recordings.

My favorite is "Craft of Love" but equally remarkable are the early
versions of some of the future album cuts.  For example "Kashka from
Bagdhad".  We learn in this version that the person singing is debating
acting on their own gay feelings "what would I do if I was seen/what
would I do if they knew my true feelings?".  There's also a funny line
that must have later been revised: "except for the man who takes the
garbage out..."

The big question that I have about these songs is how a teenager, even
as intelligent and precocious as Kate, would know so much about life so
early.  The topics of aging, adultery, marriage boredom, homosexuality,
etc. are things I am still learning about at age 28.

It's also interesting that on Lionheart, instead of using some of these
songs, she recorded more immature songs like "In Search of Peter Pan".

-ScottWeb
scwebb@npi.net