Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Which demo ???

From: Julian Shaw <julian@dragonfire.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 23:16:39 +0000
Subject: Re: Which demo ???
To: rec-music-gaffa@ncren.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <32D8C38E.6BAA@rad.net.id>, Grifone <grifone@rad.net.id>
writes
>Hi,
>do you have any opinion about Cathy's demo song ? Which one you think is
>the greatest, almost as great as songs of her album.

If I read your posting correctly you are referring to the collection of
songs usually called "The Cathy Demos"? The one that includes a large
number of vocal/piano only demos?

If so, I'm glad you've raised this because anyone who hasn't heard these
songs is really missing out on some of Kate's most personal, haunting,
and beautiful compositions. What is even more startling about them is
that she hadn't even reached 20 years old when they were recorded.

Picking a favourite, for me, is easy, because "Dali" (a.k.a. "Ferry Me
Over") sent shivers down my spine when I first heard it, a reaction I
had not experienced for some while. I was so affected that I played it
again at least a dozen times, before moving on to the other tracks. In
fact I would go so far as to say that for me, personally, it is probably
my favourite song of all by Kate. I'm not sure why exactly, but there is
something particularly spellbinding about Kate's piano playing, and the
feeling of actually "being with her" due to the nature of the recording.
The fact that it's also a wonderful song probably has a lot to do with
it as well! :-)

Other songs (alternative titles in brackets) which I found particularly
moving were "Davy" ("While Davy Dozed"); "It Hurts Me" ("A Rose Growing
Old"/"Feeling Like a Waltz"); "Disbelieving Angel" - superb lyrics; "The
Craft of Love" ("The Craft of Life").....in fact, there are so *many*
excellent songs to be found on this collection that it is quite beyond
my comprehension why Kate decided not to pursue them. (BTW, the piano-
only demo of "Oh To Be In Love" is an absolute delight - I actually
prefer it (just) to the one that was released.)

As far as I am concerned there is no more beautiful sound in this world
than that of Kate singing, accompanied only by the piano, so the fact
that these songs will almost certainly never see the light of day
officially is not only a travesty, but a great loss to the world.

Julian