Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hounds of love

From: llovich@aol.com
Date: 13 Jan 1997 15:22:34 GMT
Subject: Re: Hounds of love
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

anders.hultman@unisource.se (Anders Hultman) writes:

>>llovich@aol.com wrote about the Alternative version of HoL:

>> It's a re-edited (not remixed) version of the lp version of HoL that
goes
>> on for about four minutes (obviously, there's some repetition). I don't
>> think it's some great lost item but it is an interesting curiousity for
>> the hard-core fan. I occassionally see this 7" single at record
>> conventions in the U.S

>N.b. that the alternative version has other lyrics than the ordinary.
>I wouldn't call it a re-edit, nor a re-mix. It truly is another
recording,
>an alternative version.

OK --

Let's clarify this; there are three versions of "Hounds of Love" in
question here, not two:

1. There is the LP version of "Hounds of Love" that was issued as a 7"
single in the UK and the US -- it is also the version that is used as the
soundtrack to the video (an hommage to Hitchcock's "The 39 Steps")

2. There is the "alternative" "Hounds of Love" that was issued as a UK 12"
single, a rerecorded version that has different lyrics ("run, run, run,
run, run, run, honey/run from the hounds of love."), a different vocal and
a drum break towards the end. It also appears on "This Woman's Work." Kate
also did a hybrid version with thw start of this version (the string bits
without the "It's in the trees ..." sample) and the remainder as it
appears on the 7"/LP versions on the Brits in 1996.

3. The version I described in my original note was a re-edit of the LP
version of "Hounds of Love." This is NOT the alternative version but
indeed a re-editing of the LP version that repeats sections to extend it
to four minutes. I'm sure it was done by someone at EMI America and its
existence would probably be news to Kate. It was teh B-side of the US 7"
"demo" release of "Hounds of Love." I suspect it was an attempt to get the
single "club/disco" play -- venues that typically need longer version of
the song. The official (to the public) US release of the 7" of "Hounds of
Love" had "Burning Bridge" as the B-side.

Does this clarify things or make everyone even more confused?

VanceMan

"Just saying it can even make it happen ...
    All I have to do is say it for you."
-- "Cloudbusting," K. Bush