Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Has Kate changed your life at all?

From: ttuerff@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff)
Date: 3 Jan 1997 10:21:12 -0700
Subject: Re: Has Kate changed your life at all?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <970102181543_1357683055@emout01.mail.aol.com>, Emmshaw@aol.com
wrote:

> HELLO EARTH!
>
> Has your love of Kate Bush changed your
> lifestyle or behaviour?
>
> I'm researching the way in which fanclubs
> in general - and the whole Kate Bush network
> in particular - are organised and affect
> those who become involved. It seemed natural
> to begin with the one in which I feel most
> at home myself, so do let me have your own thoughts.
>
> Specifically, I'm interested in:
>
> 1. What Kate-related song or happening most
> touched your lifestyle?

Probably the Hounds of Love album. The primary reason is that an
acquaintance of mine who was really into Kate was murdered shortly before
its release. She was one of the most passionate Kate fans I've ever known;
she was, like all of us at the time, frantically awaiting the release of
"Hounds" and she never got to hear it, thanks to some asshole who to this
day has not been caught.

Another friend of mine, who knew this woman a lot better, told me later
that although he had the album from the first day it hit the racks, it
took him three months to listen to it before he could detach his friend's
memory enough to listen to it objectively.

> 2. Have any aspects of the matters discussed by
> love-hounds on rec-music-gaffa become incorporated
> into your life?

No. I have a lot of pagan friends, but I had them before I had any Kate albums.

> 3. How important to you is the whole Kate wah-wah
> (discussion group, Gaffawweb, and the more ephemeral
> and infrequent meetings at conventions & parties;
> Homeground and the like)?

It's a nice place to see your name, and mine is there several times!

> 4. In what way or ways would your life be different
> without the Kate "network" (NOT the music itself;
> just the various outlets for fans thenselves to
> find a voice and a forum)?

Well, I wouldn't have "met" as many Kate fans as I "know" now!

> 5. Finally; do you have other interests in your
> life which you would describe as being as dominant
> as Kate and the forums which her music gives us
> for expression?

Frank Zappa. Without question one of the most important composers of the
late 20th century. Not a day goes by when I don't play some Zappa. Even if
you don't like the lyrics, there's the music beneath and around them.

I defy anyone to listen to "Watermelon in Easter Hay" for the first time
and not feel emotionally drained when it's over.