Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A sad day for music on the net...

From: "Stuart M. Castergine" <scasterg@dispatch.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 18:07:40 -0500
Subject: A sad day for music on the net...
To: Love Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

This may have happened months ago, I can't remember checking the archive
since late summer, but the most compelte searchable archive of music
lyrics on the net, http://archive.uwp.edu, has been shut down by the
f**cking music industry. Here is the message the keeper has for those
who attempt to access it:

---

Sorry, the Lyrics Page and the Lyrics FTP archive is no longer available
for public access. The University of Wisconsin was contacted by
representatives of the music industry. On the advice of legal council,
we have closed the archive and we are investigating other means to make
this data available.

It was fun while it lasted & thanks for your support and kind words.

Before you ask:

   No, I cannot make the entire archive available in one huge file.

   Sorry, I do not know of any sites that may still have a copy
     of the archive.  If they are still out there, the University of
     Wisconsin and I (Dave Datta) have no connection with them.

   I have no resources or wish to fight lawyers on my own and I will
     not be fighting this. I do not want to be tied up in court for the
     rest of my natural life.

   I am exploring ways of making the files available with the
     blessings of the music industry. Please don't write letters to
     musical organizations on behalf of the archive.

-Dave Datta, lyrics@archive.uwp.edu
     (Former maintainer of the Lyrics archive.)

I would like to thank Michael Herf & Dave Meltzer for all their work
writing and maintaining of the web pages and search engine. Without
their help, the archive would not have been as successful as it was.

---

Goodbye old, faithful archive. I'll remember you fondly.

And to the music industry and its lawyers ..... Get Out of My House! Hee
haw! Hee haw, hee haw!

Stu

mailto:scasterg@dispatch.com == Stuart M. Castergine | PGP: public key:
---
All young gentle dreams drowning                     | finger
|/
In life's grief                                      |
Ptcd@dialup.oar.net |\
Can you hang on to me? --Kate Bush, _Big Stripey Lie_|