Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Whole Story VideoCD and Mac Users

From: Neil Calton <nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 18:19:28 +0000
Subject: The Whole Story VideoCD and Mac Users
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Having been crazy enough to buy a copy of The Whole Story
VideoCD disk almost 2 years ago even though I had nothing to
play it on (yes, sad I know): I have finally got to see it thanks
to the good people at Apple. They have just released a QuickTime
MPEG extension. So anyone who has a PowerMac can now play
VideoCDs in software and does not need an MPEG card. Its only
beta but it works really well and its free. How this compares
with a real VideoCD player I have no idea (playback will vary
with CPU speed) but I am just glad that I can finally get to see my disk
after all this time.

My colleague who works with Windows NT says that there is also
an MPEG plugin with Internet Explorer V3 that works with the
media player under NT4.

Neil

Neil Calton                                       INTERNET:  nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Department for Computation      JANET:     nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
& Information                                 BITNET:    Neil.Calton@rl.ac.uk
Rutherford Appleton Lab.            Tel: +44 1235 44 5740
Chilton, Didcot, Oxon                    Fax: +44 1235 44 5893
OX11 0QX , England