Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Music to my ears

From: ANGLTRED@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 21:25:01 -0500
Subject: Re: Music to my ears
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>I think we all get confused and make invidious comparisons because these
>women  don't just recite the lyrics. They all use their voices as
>instruments - raw, unrestrained instruments that don't just tell you pain
>or joy but are themselves pain, joy, anger, hatred, love. It's such a rare
>thing...

I think it was at the last Katemas, that someone ( I won't mention any names)
said they think Me and a Gun would be much better with music.  Another person
there and I both agreed that instruments would only impede the message in the
song.  In this particular song, Tori uses her voice as an instrument in such
a way that, in my opinion, is an absolutely unprecedented phenomena.  With
the exception of perhaps, Jackie O by Sinead O'Connor...there is some music
in this song, but the music which makes the lyrics a tale of passion,
anguish, heartache, love, tragedy, woe and infinity is that of her voice.  I
truly believe that's what makes so many of the women artists we discuss on
here so unique...their ability to capture their voices and use them as a
unique instrument no one else will ever have the opportunity to use.

~~~Me again

P.S.  Perhaps someone with a good vocabulary can help me out here....when
discussing songs like those mentioned above, it seems unjust to refer to them
as mere "songs".  I mean, anyone can sing a "song"...these amazing pieces of
art deserve a designation that sets them apart from the rest of the mere
"songs" in the world.  Is there another term for this transcendent form of
music of which I am unaware?