Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-48 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Alannis & Irony

From: Matt Humphrey <stock@capital.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 16:59:49 +0000
Subject: Alannis & Irony
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Chris wrote:
>  Of course every critic with slightly more than half a brain
> pointed out that *none* of the things she was singing about were
> even slightly ironic. Bummers, yes...but not "irony".

A song about irony that contains NO irony . . . isn't THAT ironic!

Also, re: Kate and depression.  I was among the lucky people who got
to meet her at Tower records in NYC the winter after the Red Shoes
came out.  She seemed *genuinely* moved by meeting us fans.  She
ignored the one-autograph-only rule and signed whatever a person
brought.  A friend of mine was working there that day, and she told me
that Kate stayed a good 45 minutes longer than she was scheduled to.
Whatever her state of mind at the time, she was simply radiating great
feelings on that particular day.

As someone who has suffered serious depression in the past, I honestly
don't believe that Kate would have made the effort to visit another
continent and, in particular, to make this kind of personal appearance
if she were seriously depressed.  I also have to believe that she, as
a person who once considered a career in psychology, would have the
sense to get help if she were teetering on the edge.

And she does appear on the cover of TLTC&TC video, and a couple of the
Red Shoes singles, so I'm assuming she's okay.

Matt  (aka "Stock")

http://www.capital.net/users/stock/

"[The United States] can't be so fixed on our desire to preserve
 the rights of ordinary Americans."    --- Bill Clinton 1993-03-01
 during a press conference in Piscataway, NJ