Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #388

From: zpavicic@vt.edu (Zandra Marie Pavicic)
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 1996 15:20:55 -0500
Subject: Re: Love-Hounds digest V12 #388
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>From: ANGLTRED@aol.com
>Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 20:27:41 -0500
>Subject: RE:  Alannis is no Kate Bush
>
><< What do you lot feel about Alanis Morissette.  I mean she does bear some
> similarities to Kate.   >>
>
>I think Alannis was a refreshing new vocalist / lyricist the first 30,000
>times I heard "You oughta Know" but the last 124,000 times I'm not so sure...
> :-P
>
>Alanis is no Kate.  No way, no how.  She is the epitome of "Generation X" and
>I don't really see how she has anything in common with Kate, except for
>perhaps the fact that they both got started young.
>
>Just my two cents
>~~Sam

My point to add is that I find Alanis very WHINEY....every time I listen to
her songs the old adage..."would you like some cheese with that WHINE" comes
to mind.  Kate most certainly is not one to Whine.  Not to mention that
Alanis obviously needs to better prepare some of her less developed lyrics
as they go flat and raw on the most uncomfortable instances.  And if that is
her "ingenious" tool in use to better express her emotional...whatevers, I'd
just rather refrain from the tasting of such sour grapes!

[Disclosure...my intentions are of opinion phasing and not of invading or
attacking any other forms of beliefs.]

I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said,
"I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be
sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be
able to get into the corners very well."
            -- Emo Phillips