Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Chaplinesque Kate

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 96 13:35:24 GMT
Subject: Re: Chaplinesque Kate
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Richard wrote:
>Steffi wrote:
>
>>>Hi friends!
>>>Did anyone ever notice a similarity between Kate and Charlie Chaplin? I think
>>>she cites that famous scene with the dancing bread (uh- how do you call
>>>this little
>>>bread-thing in English, - roll??)

>>>from "The Goldrush" in her Red Shoes vid. The scene where
>>>she performs a little pantomime dance with the shoes. How do you think about
>>>that?
>>
>>   I never really caught that, but I believe you are correct. Good eyes! I
>>don't recall Kate ever mentioning Chaplin, but it is possible. The reference
>>is probably second generation - Kate probably saw it in the movie with
>>Robert Downey Jr.
>
>I never spotted this either.  Well done, Steffi!  But Chris, why do you
>think Kate wouldn't have seen the original?  The woman is, after all,
>something of a film buff.

    Only that I can't recall any Chaplin allusions anywhere else in her work.
Of course any additional connections would be quite interesting.

   Also, I'm not sure if the situation in the UK is the same as it is here,
but for all his importance in the history of film, Chaplin's movies are rarely
played. I mean, compared to the Little Rascals, the Three Stooges, the
Marx Brothers, etc. The recent film just strikes me as a more likely source
than the original films.

  Kate's "Desert Island Films" didn't feature that many very old films...the
version of Wuthering Heights that she saw was a TV version rather than
the Olivier/Oberon one.

   But nothing more than that. Just the gut feeling that Kate is a bit more
likely (IMO) to recall the scene via the more recent film.

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb