Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-47 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Chaplinesque Kate

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 96 05:47:55 GMT
Subject: Re: Chaplinesque Kate
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

>Hi friends!
>Did anyone ever notice a similarity between Kate and Charlie Chaplin? I think
>she cites that famous scene with the dancing bread (uh- how do you call this little
>bread-thing in English, - roll??)

   Yes, Americans call them "rolls"...but I have no idea what the English call
them.

>from "The Goldrush" in her Red Shoes vid. The scene where
>she performs a little pantomime dance with the shoes. How do you think about
>that?

   I never really caught that, but I believe you are correct. Good eyes! I
don't recall Kate ever mentioning Chaplin, but it is possible. The reference
is probably second generation - Kate probably saw it in the movie with
Robert Downey Jr.

Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb