Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Brazil ST

From: cinnamon@one.net (athol-brose)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 96 02:16:10 GMT
Subject: Re: Brazil ST
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <m0vSATv-007Wx0C@kani.wwa.com>, chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams) wrote:
(quoting me)
>>*sigh* The "butchered US version" was only broadcast on television (and
>>the last time I saw it on tv, it was the full version). Videotapes for
>>sale or rental in the US are the full, all-dreams-included
>>no-changed-ending version of the movie.
>   Actually the buthered ("Sid Sheinberg" after the cretinous studio
>head who wanted the cuts) version *is* included on the new Criterion
>laserdisk. This package includes the original English cut with Father
>Christmas, the 30 minute "What is Brazil" making-of documentary,
>Terry talking on the optional second audio channel and "Love Conquers
>All"  the butchered TV version.

As I said, "videotapes for sale or rental in the US..." :) It is good to see
that Criterion has released a laser disk of this film; it will undoubtedly be
one of my first purchases when I get my LD player (in just over a week)...

>   Possibly the single most devastating film-going experience I have
>ever had. I remember sitting there in the theater stunned, unable to
>stand up.

I had the extreme un-pleasure of seeing the butchered version first. A friend
expressed his sorrow, and what I had seen and what he said inspired me to go
and rent the movie the very next day... and I have seen it several times since
then.

I agree with your statement. Somehow, the friends I showed it to were under
the impression it was going to be another Monty Python movie, even though I
had taken pains to tell them that it wasn't...