Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tori Amos, Disco Diva/Kate-n-Tricky Team-Up?

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 23:12:15 -0800
Subject: Re: Tori Amos, Disco Diva/Kate-n-Tricky Team-Up?
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Brian J. Dillard wrote:

>A recurrent Tori thread is Tori's marketing efforts (numerous
>b-sides,
>glossy videos, frequent albums,

Tori's albums are frequent only in comparison to Kate's, really.
Her three (solo) albums came out in 1991 (?), 1994 and 1996.

> After Utah Saints sampled "Cloudbusting," Kate released that rather tepid
> "Shoedance" thing. As a Kate fan I love it, but as a *raver boy* for lack
> of a better term, I have to say: "Shoedance" is total shite if you try to
> take it seriously as house music.
>
> But Tori has been collaborating with much better deejays than Kate, and
> one result - NYC bad boy Armand Van Helden's remix of "Professional
> Widow" - was an authentic club staple in Europe and America this fall.

I have to disagree. Admittedly, I'm not into house music, so
perhaps it's a moot point, but IMHO Shoedance has a lot of meat
in it compared to the techno that Tori has been putting out
(thankfully, only as b-sides).

Shoedance is not techno. It's halfway there, but it still
remains at least somewhat faithful to the original song. Tori's
techno (which, from what I've read on r.m.t-a, has caused many
Tori fans to stop buying her singles) doesn't even remotely
resemble the song which inspired it. It's often a 2- or 3-second
sound byte repeated ad nauseum over a thudding beat and 'house'
keyboards. I have no desire to hear Kate go this route.

Robb