Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tapes and Gods

From: Karen Newcombe <kln@staralliance.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 1996 12:11:23 -0800
Subject: Tapes and Gods
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Note: On the Katetopia tape there is also an interview with Kate from the
Hounds of Love era.  It was accidentally left out of the play list.

Kate is God SRI -- From my point of view: I often say this in a joking way
because it IS kind of funny and wry, poking fun at the dilemma of celebrity.

I also say it sometimes when talking about Kate's work, and in those cases
mean it. But in the same way any of us means it when we greet another with
"Namaste" and a slight bow to honor the sacred in that being.  I am not
honoring Kate the person in the way Christians honor Jesus the person as a
chip off the old god, but in the way that I honor the presence of godhead in
every person, every animal, every rock and stone and tree.  (Whew!  That's a
lot of bowing in one day!)

In old Ireland the poet sang his poems, and the power of the poet's word was
greater than the power of the king or priest -- on a par with the force of
nature itself. I particularly honor the way that voice has found an outlet
in Kate.

Karen  kln@staralliance.com

It is death to kill a poet; it is death to love a poet; it is death to be a
poet.
                                             Old Celtic Saying