Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

the goddess

From: R.Jones@mirinz.org.nz
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 1996 13:41 +1200
Subject: the goddess
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

     Laurie sez:

     >And one more thing. Please don't take this the wrong way, everyone,
     >but is it a sign of respect to call someone a God or Goddess? It
     >seems to me that to do that is to deny the person the right to be a
     >human, and to have a bad day, and to make mistakes, and to be real.
     >I'm not saying that anyone should stop (i wouldn't presume), i just
     >want to know the thought processes behind that. 8)
     >-=-laurie,

     IMHO it is certainly a mark of respect to refer to someone as a god or
     goddess. However, I do not use the title as a mark of respect but
     because I consider that the subject indeed has powers above those
     available to most of us mere mortals.

     A god or goddess must surely be 'all knowing' (otherwise thay would
     not be perfect and therefore wouldn't be a god or goddess). Therefore,
     they must have bad-hair days etc. In other words, to be perfect
     requires being capable of all things - including imperfection. I refer
     to Kate as the Goddess because I believe she has powers over her
     subjects (ie fans) - that's why we are fans. These powers may have
     manifested themselves in previous incarnations in other forms - eg
     monarch/loyal subject?. I have observed the state of rapture that Kate
     invokes in people through her music. Her music moves in a way to fill
     gaps in the lives of many people. To me this is similar to the gaps
     many people fill with other tools (eg religion). I saw a picture of
     the last supper a while ago. In my minds eye I replaced Christ with
     Kate. Around her I substituted the (male) apostles with female artists
     I relate to (Tori, Jane Siberry, Jane Birkin amongst others) - you
     know what, the new image invoked a greater feeling of spiritual peace
     than the other one was probably intended to do - I wonder who Judas
     would be (how bout Kylie Minogue ........arrrrgggghhhh).

     Well, that's my two cents worth - I hope I haven't offended any
     Christians.

     Rhys