Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-46 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: (none)

From: lratclif@astro.ocis.temple.edu (Laurie Ratcliff)
Date: 2 Dec 1996 19:47:52 GMT
Subject: Re: (none)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ncren.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

R.Jones@mirinz.org.nz wrote:
:      I personally like Tori's music a lot. However, although she uses a
:      wide vocal range and puts lots of 'anguish' into her deliveries I
:      often feel she doesn't come across as 'sincere' as she would like to.
:      IMHO this causes the 'emotion' component to be lost. I think a lot of
:      Kate fans are Kate fans because they can relate to the Goddess's
:      deliveries from the heart so can't quite make the connection with
:      Tori. Jane Siberry is also good at wringing out a few heart strings.
:      So, in the end perhaps people can be forgiven for treating Tori as the
:      sorcerers apprentice.

   I know i shouldn't get into this. I know it's a tired old subject so
PLEASE forgive me, please. BUT! I'm not picking a fight! That's
something! Anyway....
   I'd have to disagree with you about the emotions. Tori's music seems
pretty sincere to me. When i first got Little Earthquakes, way back when
it came out, i listened to it and then i listened to it again and then i
cried all night. I think the other albums are harder to understand than
LE, but no less sincere, though i can see how you would think that.
Something like, "She puts all this energy into sounding hurt, so she
won't have to put as much energy into writing better lyrics." I can see
that, but i still disagree.
   On another note, i would love to like Jane Siberry, but her voice just
gets on my nerves! I've heard a couple of songs in which is doesn't, but
most of the time i just have to stop the cd or turn the radio off. I'm
trying my best, though.

  And one more thing. Please don't take this the wrong way, everyone, but
is it a sign of respect to call someone a God or Goddess? It seems to me
that to do that is to deny the person the right to be a human, and to
have a bad day, and to make mistakes, and to be real. I'm not saying that
anyone should stop (i wouldn't presume), i just want to know the thought
processes behind that. 8)
    -=-laurie, who likes to know why people think the things they think,
        itinerant student of human behavior?
 Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and
unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the
forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry
your eyes.... and let's go home.
      -Alan Moore