Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hello Earth Chorus

From: "Michael R. Abram" <70604.3311@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 27 Nov 96 17:17:41 EST
Subject: Hello Earth Chorus
To: Kate Bush List <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Gadi Guy said:
>> "On "Little Earth", just before the German line, Kate mixed in
a very slow, depressing kind of chorus music. <<

Funny, I don't find that depressing at all...  I heard another piece on the
radio, almost identical to this one, identified as being choral folk music from
Soviet Georgia.  I am sure it is either a traditional piece, or composed in the
traditional style, analogous to "Le Mystere de Voix Bulgare", a series of
popular albums by the Bulgarian State Women's Radio Chorus.

Of course, this foreshadow's Kate's association with the Trio Bulgarka.
Bulgarian music is "weirder" to Western ears than Georgian or Russian music,
because of their odd scales and dense harmonies that sometimes feature flat
seconds, i.e. an E and an F at the same time.  I love it! (also Albanian music)

Popol Vuh (that's an aitch) I believe is a sacred Mexican text, is that the name
of a synth band?  Gounod (that's an enn) doesn't sound like that -- he wrote the
"Ave Maria" melody, to be sung along with Bach's Prelude in C Major, that was
recently recorded by Bobby McFerrin.

Coincidentally, I was going to look for some Georgian choral music.  If I find
the recording, I will surely post it.

Good luck,

Michael