Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate and Tori

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 27 Nov 96 15:56:14 EST
Subject: Re: Kate and Tori
To: wyzdom@skypoint.com, rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Sender: owner-love-hounds

--- Mark Nesser wrote:
Yes, I'm responding also to the message about Tori's bootleg(oh,sweet
old england). I think Tori is very talented, but lets face it , she
still can't compare to Kate . It's just upsetting to see Tori get the
recognition in the U.S. ,that Kate deserves !!
Mark
--- end of quoted material ---
I think Tori's music appeals more to the "generation X" people than Kate.
Since Gen X are also the people that watch MTV and listen to "top 40"
radio stations, it's only normal that she would get more recognition.
Also,  Kate's last album dates back to Oct. 93,  Tori has since released
2 albums (under The Pink Feb. 94, and Boys For Pele Jan. 96), a ton of
Cd-singles AND 2 massive tours.    OF COURSE TORI GETS MORE RECOGNITION!!!  :-(
Sorry about the shouting...It's just that Kate doesn't do diddly to help her
career.   A tour would help her a lot.  (oh boy, here we go again....no, I
don't
want to start the "why doesn't Kate tour?" debate again...I've had enough
of that...and the people who just can't seem to see Kate as anything other than
the all mighty goddess of perfection)

Folks, let's just accept that Tori DOES get recognition for her efforts.  Also,
let's accept that Tori DOESN'T have to admit that Kate was/is an influence.
In fact, I think that Tori is now an influence on other artists (Jewel), not
Kate.

Although we could agree that Little Earthquakes had a lot of similarities
or has been influenced by Kate's music, her other 2 albums (especially
Boys for Pele)  is a style all her own.  In fact, there's very little in that
album that can be traced back to Kate in any form what-so-ever.

Let's all give this debate a rest.

peace

ron