Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-45 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate's Studio and EMI

From: "SEAN TWOMEY (ARCHAEOLOGY) PG" <twomeys@acadamh.ucd.ie>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 14:38:43 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: Kate's Studio and EMI
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Len Bullard wrote :

> Yes, she has consistently plotted a downward
> course in sales.  This is to be expected.  She
> does not now nor has she ever worked the
> approved "next thing" which believe it or not,
> is planned years (at least three) in advance
> by record executives and producers just as
> fashions are chosen.  It isn't as free a
> market as one might think.  What Kate Bush
> and company have created is a unique and
> stunning body of work, real art, not commercial
> products.  It has sustained her at a level
> which she is comfortable with, and should
> she want more or need more, I guess she
> knows how to get it.  Her relationship
> with EMI is clear:  she delivers goods,
> they market them.  If she wanted more returns,
> she has many opportunities available which
> she apparently chooses with care based on
> her own assessment of what she is prepared
> to do.

I just couldn't agree more Len , It *is* the body of work that counts
and there's no faulting that .... Kate went her own way (always will)
and she often isn't given enough credit for that ......
In all of us fans there is a niggling wish that we saw her more ,
more MTV , more airplay, more sales , but had she taken that route
think what we would ultimately have missed !

Thanks Len for eloquently summing up MY feelings on this matter .

Sean :-)