Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-43 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Tori Amos concert

From: Darrel Henry <darryl1@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 10:10:40 -0600
Subject: Tori Amos concert
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Tori Amos Concert Review

	I thought since I had opened my mouth/keyboard and let everyone
out there know I was going to see Tori Amos, I'd make a few comments
about it - fantastic, awesome, wonderful, ..... Really, it was a great
performance and I'm pretty cynical about live concerts. It was
interesting to me because, as I mentioned, I have heard of Tori but
never really heard her music so my first real Tori experience was live.
(Your right R.G., I guess I have been under a rock as far as Tori goes.
;-))

	The concert was last night, Wed., and she played in a medium
size music hall with piano, harpsichord, and a guitarist, though the
guitar playing was minimum. On one of her last songs she played a small
organ. The hall was almost filled. Her special lighting for the show was
well designed, not overdone, and different films to accompany the songs
- rippling water, a rollercoaster - were played on a triangular shaped
screen in the background. She performed about an hour and a half. She
wore a white blouse and pants although I sat back a ways and couldn't
see a lot of detail. No opera glasses.

	I was very impressed by her music and kept thinking shes the
American version of Kate Bush. IMO she has a definite Kate influence. It
was very obvious in her sound but she also has a style of her own and I
know this is nothing you Tori fans don't already know and discuss but
shes new to me. She has very beautiful music but I'd say its 'harder
edged' than Kates. One thing I had difficulty with, and I don't mean
this as criticism, but during her first song, I thought she was speaking
partly in a language other than English. Then I realized it was her
pronounciation/enunciation that I was hearing. I still could only
understand about half of what she was saying and straining my ears, (the
sound system was excellent), so she has a unique vocal style. I just
wanted to understand more of what her lyrics were about. I wish I was
familiar with her songs and I could tell you exactly the ones she
performed. She spoke to the audience a little and told one or two
anctedotes about herself.

	Though Tori was great and I'll be listening to her more, shes
not at Kates level, who could be, but I think shes the next best thing
to seeing Kate live. Comments and criticisms welcome. If there can be a
Skippy the Bush Kangaroo dialog going on here, hopefully nobody will
mind this little Tori diversion ;-).

Whats the best Tori site to check out on the Internet??

Darrell
darryl1@flash.net