Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hi! (and some responses)

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 00:48:22 -0700
Subject: Re: Hi! (and some responses)
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Geoff wrote:

> Jeff Gower wrote:
> >  Does Tori acknowledge
> > Kate's obvious influence?  Or does she ignore any comments about it?  Sorry
> > if this is old hat.  One thing, though - from the interviews I have read or
> > seen with her, she seems to be a bit of a flake personally - a little to
> > into psychobabble and 'deep thoughts' for my taste.  Perhaps it all just
> > stems from some of her unfortunate experiences, but still it gets hard to
> > take after a while.
> >
> I'm a huge fan of both Tori and Kate, and I was amazed when the first
> Tori album, "Little Earthquakes" came out.  They both have four letters
> in their first and last names.  The thing that jumped out and grabbed me
> was that they are both inside a wooden box in the photography on their
> first albums!  But, the only thing that I thought even sounded remotely
> like Kate was the song "Happy Phantom".
>   On to if Tori has acknowledged any influence.  I have read many, many
> interviews with Tori, and she has never mentioned Kate Bush.  I read a
> short (very short) Details interview with Kate where she said that she
> has never heard Tori's music, but heard that it was quite good.  I think
> that Kate was obviously an influence on Tori, but Tori is reluctant to
> admit it for some reason.

I agree with much of this assessment -- but have to add that
Tori has mentioned Kate in a few interviews with varying degrees
of praise. She thought that RuTH was a perfectly crafted record
(and has recently taken to singing a line from it in concert).
She's admitted that she and Kate "could probably sing each
other's stuff" but asserted (hopefully jokingly) that Kate
"smokes a lot more weed" than she does. And finally, she said
that she wishes Kate would "stop screaming...there's no mouse."

Kate has heard a Tori song and said that it "was...umm...nice."
I don't know what that song was.

Robb