Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-41 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More Jane Siberry etc.

From: am672@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (David J. Zimmerly)
Date: 11 Oct 1996 02:30:05 GMT
Subject: More Jane Siberry etc.
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

I haven't posted anything for a VERY long time, but I thought I'd add a
few bits to the Jane thread.

I saw her here in Ottawa in July at a wonderfully intimate and relaxing
show in a park beside the French embassy and the Ottawa river.  The band
played beneath a grove of maple trees while the sun set behind them,
casting a sparkling, hypnotic light on the performers and the audience.
It was a most fitting setting for her music, which this time featured
songs from her new album "Teenager".  All of the material was written at a
very young age, and some songs were even crudely recorded on cassette
decks bounced back and forth to create overdubs. Now that Jane is 40 (hey,
someone else we know and love is pushing it...), she thought it would be
interesting to re-visit some of those songs.  Well, I like it a lot and
urge you to listen for yourselves.

This album is also notable since it is the first one to be released on
Jane's own label, SHEEBA Records.  Her homepage is at www.SHEEBA.ca.

Don't forget to listen to her other fine albums too!

And while I'm at it, try to find Shadows Wake Me, by Damhnait Doyle.
She's another Canadian female artist on the rise, in much the same vein as
Sarah McLachlan or Mae Moore. Still young, but worth watching.

End CANCON commercial. Back over to you, Kate.

David