Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Rolf Harris

From: "Sawyer, Keith" <Keith.Sawyer@FMR.Com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 08:41 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Rolf Harris
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Andrzej Markiewicz <daisyhed@adelaide.DIALix.oz.au> wrote:

>        My understanding of The Dreaming is that it was inspired more by
>Rolf Harris's song "Sunrise" than by actual experiences in Oz- artists
>are like that- imagination is often better than being there- perhaps this
>is why the obsession with stepping out of the page into the sensual(not
>just imaginary) world... "sunrise" would have been one of the first
>commercial releases (back in the sixties I think) to feature the dij..

The Rolf Harris song you are refering to is "Sun Arise,"  and Rolf also
plays the digeridu on "The Dreaming."  I have a dusty 7'' of "Sun Arise" and
the digeridu track seems to be almost exactly the same in these two songs.
 But apart from the beat (and some background clanging and banging), there's
not many other similarities that make the leap into "The Dreaming."  "Sun
Arise" is a simple song about the sun slowly rising (if you *really* want
the lyrics I can post them) and relies heavily on a chorus of male vocalists
to answer the lead.

keith