Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-40 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

THE RED SHOES

From: Andrzej Markiewicz <daisyhed@adelaide.DIALix.oz.au>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 09:58:09 +0930 (CST)
Subject: THE RED SHOES
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

		Hello Everyone!

		I notice there is not so much regard for The Red Shoes as
I thought there might be...I really love it, and I think it's one of
Kate's best two or three albums...but then again I like side one of HOL
much better than TNW...[RUNS AWAY FROM INTERNET WITH HANDS OVER EARS AND
ELBOWS TRYING TO PROTECT HEAD FROM ANGRY LOVE HOUNDS]
		I listen to TRS about 3 times a week and I think there
are predominantly 2 things going on in this album.
		1} The pain of the break-up...I think this is why some of
the songs, esp. "and so is love" and "you're the one" are maybe not as
Avant-Garde as we have come to expect from Kate, and why they are so
straight forward lyrically as well...they are cries from the heart ( the
solitary heart...soul cries out...hear a woman singing...) and not
particularly taking any angle on things, intelectually. Hence also the
presence of blues legends Clapton and Beck.
		2} Kate embraces Christianity on this album. Song of
Solomon obviously comes from a very personal experience of this
particular piece of Scripture...Lily daeals with a more esoteric
experience in the spiritual world...Why should I love you? has references
to The Sacred Heart (of Jesus- Catholic imagery), the grey of the (
presumably) Holy Ghost and the "O" of the Host (i.e. the wafer taken at
Communion during Mass), as well as the more obvious references such as,
'This chapter says...' and 'Did you ever see a picture of Jesus laughing?'
		Well that's my understanding anyway of those two threads
of the album- what does anyone else think?

				Unjay

http://www.ausguide.com.au/daisy.htm