Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

THE RED SHOES and a question

From: billings@uhavax.hartford.edu
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 15:54:43 EDT
Subject: THE RED SHOES and a question
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Last night I put on my RED SHOES and fell asleep to it.  I think I am growing
to appreciate it more as time goes by.  The song "Eat The Music" is very
catchy, and I think it's one of the more quirky/creative bits on the album.
I am not overly fond of the lyrics to "And So Is Love", but the music and
Kate's delivery help make it one of my favorite moments on the album.  "Rubber-
band Girl" is just an outright joy and loads of fun.  "Top Of The City" could
not be any more sad; "Constellation of The Heart" is trippy and danceable;
"Moments Of Pleasure" shows Kate's voice off to superb effect; "Lily" is some-
what awe-inspiring and frightening despite what I take to be a positive
message; and "The Red Shoes" takes well-known lore and turns it into one hell
of a musical outing.  The music, as usual, speaks for itself, but I also love
the huge picture of Kate and the man; the floating fruit on the booklet; and
the cover photo.

On another note, could someone give me an insight into the meaning of "Hammer
Horror."  Has Kate spoken of her intentions with the lyrics.  I take it as
yet another frightening song, but something tells me there might be humorous
intentions; please tell me no!  Did someone die in the belltower, and now
either the killer or the killed is "following" Kate, either to kill her too
(if it's the killer, if there IS a killer) or to take her with him to the
grave (if it's the killed).  Well, maybe that made sense; just help me please.

Finally, thank you to the person who posted positive comments on Madonna.
LIKE A PRAYER is a highlight of her career, as is Something To Remember and
the underrated EROTICA.  Anyway, Kate questions continue .... shane