Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-39 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT KATE

From: ttuerff@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff)
Date: 6 Oct 1996 23:15:03 -0700
Subject: Re: QUESTIONS ABOUT KATE
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <009A942F.19CED480.229@uhavax.hartford.edu>,
billings@uhavax.hartford.edu wrote:

> 1. In a book I have entitled SHE'S A REBEL (which itself contains great
> and in-depth stuff on Kate), there is a bibliography which lists two or
> three books about Kate.  The publishers are also listed, and I am wondering
> if any of them are still in print.  Of course I will find out when I order,
> but I thought maybe some of you could let me know about Kate books that you
> have.

Here's what I have, and I don't know if they're still available:

Kate Bush, by Kerry Juby; hardback bio from the late '80s.

The Secret History of Kate Bush and the strange art of pop, by Fred Vermorel.

I see this in alternative record/cd stores all the time; I assume it's
still available.

Many Kate music books are available, as well. Depends on where you live. I
have album songbooks for Hounds and Sensual World, there are also
compilation books available, which I have but can't find at the moment;

> 2. I have THE SINGLE FILE and am wondering what additional videos are on
> THE WHOLE STORY, which I have not been able to find anywhere (but in case
> I do)

As I recall, there's an alternate version of WOW compiled mostly from
scenes off the "Hammersmith" tape (by the way, if you haven't found Kate
live at Hammersmith Odeon, by all means, do so), and a video for
Experiment IV, which is quite good. Plus, there's the Hounds of Love
videos, Cloudbusting (excellent), Hounds of Love (not quite as
excellent--Kate's first stab at directing), the BIg Sky and Running Up
that Hill.

> 3. I need to know about the album THE WHOLE STORY, whether or not there
> are good liner notes (it probably depends on what version you get); for
> instance, my booklets for NEVER FOR EVER, THE DREAMING AND HOUNDS OF LOVE
> are really cheap

There are no liner notes in the original vinyl album, and I know there
aren't any in the CD, other than original release dates for each song.

> 4. Is there a general feeling among all of you about Tori Amos?

No. Some of us like her, some don't. Me? I met her three years ago and she
was very nice--signed my copy of YKTR and everything. But her last album
left me in the dark.
> 5. This question is lame, but is there a general favorite album of Kate's
> among you? I'm curious as to what people like, even though it obviously
> differs.

Here's mine, listed as I've told many people that they oughta buy them:

1. Hounds of Love. It doesn't get better than this. A masterpiece.

2. The Kick Inside. Almost as good as Hounds, but not quite. The album that
   stirs up the most Kate/Tori comparisons.

3. The Dreaming. Probably her best record, but very disturbing and not
something
   you can play when you're in a good mood. Suicide and hopelessnes show up a
   lot here. There are moments here that are downright scary.

4. Never For Ever. Her third album, better than the second (which I'll get
   to...)

5. Red Shoes. Musically, one of her most adventurous. Lyrically, NOT!
   Big Stripey Lie is my favorite song here--mostly because the idea of Kate
   playing a Fender Stratocaster is something I find highly erotic.

6. Lionheart. Can you say, "Sophomore Curse?" Kate doesn't like this
album, and
   neither do most people. Even in early fan magazines, this album was always
   people's least favorite. But, that was before she recorded...

7. Sensual World. Time Magazine gave this album a two-word review: Press Delete.
   (It's a reference to one of the songs on the album.) I couldn't agree more,
   but you'll find that those people who discovered Kate with this album
tend to
   place it higher.

I don't include Whole Story, because it's a 'greatest hits' album.
> Ok, thanks a lot.  shane

You're welcome!

TT