Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

La Dolce Kate

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 02:16:26 -0500
Subject: La Dolce Kate
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

This week's most gratuitous Kate reference comes from Michael Musto's
gossip column in The Village Voice, a weekly New York City newspaper which
has seen better days:

"The most fab new chat 'n chew is ABC Carpet & Home's Parlour Cafe, a
diverting rest stop for the cobwebby but hungry neo-Miss Havisham crowd.
The joint looks like it's been decorated with all the marbleized tables,
hanging fabrics, and chandeliers they couldn't sell in the main room, but
that gives it a certain goofy grandeur -- and at least there's no
temptation to spring for the furniture.  The all too perfect Kate Bush
music piped in as you nosh an eclectic selection of salads and desserts
provides the extra semipretentious twist that helps make this THE place to
make cerebral love among the ruins."

Well.  I'm not sure if Mr. Musto is saying here that Kate is "all too
perfect" for that elegantly designed room, or "all too perfect" as an
accompaniment to salads and desserts, or simply "all too perfect" in an
absolute, IED sort of way.  I choose to believe the latter.  It's that
"semipretentious" part that's got *my* knickers in a twist.

RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/