Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Suspended in gaffa

From: ttuerff@primenet.com (Tom Tuerff)
Date: 3 Oct 1996 11:54:02 -0700
Subject: Re: Suspended in gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

In article <52uns6$5vm@hermes.dna.mci.com>, 5085998@mcimail.com wrote:

> What does "suspended in gaffa" (Hounds of Love) refer to????
>
>                           Thanks,
>                            Tom Q

Hoo boy.

This is a question that has as many answers as those who've questioned it.
Kate's never really explained it, although I believe she once said it had
something to do with gaffer's tape, but then in another interview she said
it was about something else.

Other explanations I've heard: Alt. spelling of Jaffa, a city in the
middle east somewhere; the plural of gaffe, meaning she's caught up in her
own mistakes and can't break loose (that works, doesn't it? Especially
given the mood she was in writing those songs on The Dreaming--Not Hounds
of Love, BTW); another one is it's a word she made up, possibly meaning
limbo;

Make up one yourself! Join the fun!

TT