Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-38 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Where are the posts?

From: Ulrich Grepel <uli@zoodle.robin.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 96 23:12:11 +0200
Subject: Re: Where are the posts?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Hi!

Rolf said:
> yes, r.m.gaffa is empty here too. Only Uli's FAQ showed up yesterday.

The FAQ uses a different way to get distributed - normally it hasn't seen gryphon.com if you read it in rec.music.gaffa. The distribution of the FAQ seems to work fine, that implies we've got a problem close to gryphon.com
and not a cancelbot.

I just sent the following stuff to rec.music.gaffa the same faked way that
the FAQ runs, so it should appear in the newsgroup but not on the mailing
list. I just talked to bbnplanet.net on the phone and spent about $20 doing
so...

Hi!

[This article is faked to work around the problem described below]

It seems like the newsgroup (rec.music.gaffa) is currently dead. The mailing
list (love-hounds) on the other hand is alife. Gaffaweb seems to be dead too,
at least for me. One of the problems is that gryphon.com's internet feed
can't find the way to gryphon.com and gets stuck in a loop trying to find it.
Machine A says "hey, machine B, here's some data for gryphon.com", and
machine B answers immediately "hey, machine A, here's some data for
gryphon.com". Which causes machine A to say "hey, machine B, here's......"

The problem is known to bbnplanet.net, on whose machines the problem occurs.
They're investigating it currently. This problem definitely has to do with
the fact that gryphon.com seems to be unreachable with WWW or email (anyone
else gets warnings like "haven't been able to reach gryphon.com, will try for
a week" or something like that when sending email to gryphon.com?). It might
(but not has to) have to do with rec.music.gaffa being dead as well, because
gryphon.com normally sits directly next to the machine causing the problem
here, so maybe gryphon.com is just unable to get rid of the r.m.gaffa
articles.

I'll keep you posted this way if I find out something new.

Bye,

Uli

--
"Ein 32-Bit-Betriebssystem fuer uns?" - "Wozu? Wir haben doch zwei mit 16."
[IBM ad promoting OS/2] "Bah, ich habe 4 mit 8!" [comment from Sven Wachter]