Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Kate The Moddess

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 13:47:18 -0500
Subject: RE: Kate The Moddess
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

[Ken Glasson]

> I too have been captured by Kate since I first heard her in the seventies.
> To be honest I find myself a little irritated by people who must take too
> close a look at an artist's style, talent or personal preferences.

I find myself irritated by people who won't let me have the pleasure
of my own irritations.

> So what if Kate doesn't want to tour. So, she changed the way she sings a
> song. I'm lucky enough to be able to have seven of Kate's albums in my car,
> and I listen to them almost every day, in order from the old to new.

Glad to know it.  Personally, I expect more from the gods.

> It is great to hear her albums grow with her as time goes by. And I prefer
> to listen to the songs in the context of their own albums and time. All
> things change, some for the better, some for the sadder.

Life is short, the sun also rises, the race doesn't always go to the
swift, the seasons are eternal, every number has two neighbors,
and so on.  If all things change, she will change her mind and tour.

Keep accepting less and expecting less and you will get less.
At least as long as we keep begging her to tour, the word
might get through and she might understand we realllllllly do
want her to.  If she doesn't listen,  in the immortal words
of Conan The Barbarian,  to hell with her.

I get the albums and she gets the money anyway.

> Refresh yourselves with the continuing beauty of Kate and her music. Cast
> aside ye unbelievers your disbelief.

I believe, oh yes I believe.  I believe seeing Kate live once is better
than
ten thousand replays of The Kick Inside.  "Kodachrome, you give us
those nice bright colors, you give us the greens of summers, makes
ya think all the world's a sunny day".   Amen.

> Listen to her voice and the music at the beginning of the second verse of
> Mna Na h-Eireann and be enriched.

Hear her sing it live and be fulfilled.  Halelujah!

> Then for God's sake give it a rest about her touring.

For whose sake?

> I agree with Xina. Kate is simply beautiful, so leave her alone and just listen.

I agree Kate is beautiful. It isn't simple.  She is
is a complex critter from where I sit.

Leave her alone?  What makes you think she pays
the slightest attention to her fans, or this list?
OTH, if she does, why can't she make a simple statement
instead of running the world's longest and most overt tease?
Maybe she just preserves her options even if it torments
her fans.  That's a bit cruel too.

What are you guys gonna do for a deity when Kate Bush
gets old, hair turns gray, gets fat or fatter, loses her voice
or dies?  Then again, since she isn't a deity, the work she
has done is really marvelous isn't it, for a mere mortal, that is?
Miracles are trivial acts for godz.  Kate's work isn't trivial.

Sometimes artists swear they will never perform again,
but somewhere along the way, the sense of it returns.
Joni James is an example of that.

All of the threads are distractions we engage in to
have something to talk about until she does something
new.   The Tour Topic is a perennial.  I like it because
it provokes speculation about the most mysterious
behaviors of Kate Bush which of many topics, isn't
quite as boring, IMO, as whether Gaffa is duct tape,
Kate is A Witch, or the flat note in the remake of
Wuthering Heights is sloppy work or the act of
of a true artist.  But we probably have exhausted it
for this season.  I guess we can go back to gushing.

Or we could take up a collection and buy billboard
space on the route from her home to Abbey Road that
says "KATE TOUR NOW SO BULLARD WILL SHUT UP!!".

Seems fair.

len