Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-37 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Episode Six: The Agora at Twilight

From: Len Bullard <cbullard@HiWAAY.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 15:44:26 -0500
Subject: Episode Six: The Agora at Twilight
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

It's so nice to see y'all worked up.  I bet if
we got all of you together, you would boogie.
That's Reason Number 11 to Tour, Kate.

"Rick Creighton" <rcreighton@smtpinet.aspensys.com>

> As a fan, I wish KaTe would just drop all the electronic gadgetry, play the
> piano, get a good rhythm section and a few acoustic guitars, and just SING!

RIGHT!!  Anybody out there qualified?  John Walker asked me how
many of us out here are actually musicians?  Can I see a show
of hands?  OK, Bryan Dongray.  That's one.  Who else feels qualified?

pdCampbell@goodyear.com (pDaleCampbell)

> Fiona said:

> ...I really think her music could benefit from being played
> live and getting some feedback from the world - as could she.

> I'm not convinced her music would gain anything by it.

It wouldn't suffer.  She'd have a helluva lot better
shot at a hit song if she'd try them out first instead
of weighting them down with overpondered tracks.

> "Not touring" does not equal "cut off", by any means.

I won't touch that line.  I am sick but not completely without manners.

> I was recently 'duped' into believing smart people don't need smiley faces to
> understand humorous intent.  Here, I *WOULD* have used one to indicate
> exaggeration.  I apologize for omitting the laugh-track.

Remember, I'm from Alabama.  We have laws against common sense
here.  We have a state representative who tried to pass a law
against chords with tritones. (really).

> I've seen lyres, but never a lick...is that like a Chapman Stick?

It's a big chunk of salt in a cow pasture.  Frank Zappa wrote
prodigiously for it.

> Actually, it means touring is neither necessary nor sufficient to indicate
> artistic ability.

Right.  But I don't care.  I wanta see her cherubic face in the flesh.

> We are talking about two different media here.  Just because you are good at
> one doesn't mean you'll be good at the other.  Of course, in Kate's case we
> know that she is perfect at both. :)

Of course.  Now show me perfection and I'm prepared to worship.

> Len, I have really painted myself into a corner with you.

Yeah?  Which one of us gets to carry the other out on his shoulders?
Ok, I'll do it.  I'm taller and have bigger feet and mom likes
me best.

> I can't blame you for wanting to see her live--we ALL do!
> And if you go on posting jabs at her for not touring, I'll go on
> reading them and it won't kill me (it won't even
> hurt, much :).

Jabs?  No, no pain.  I'm begging, plain and simple.
Down on my knees, I'm beggin' her please... desperation has
no pride.  Neither of us is getting any younger.

> Well, I can see the beauty of a true live performance, with an artist that's
> capable of it.  And Kate is CERTAINLY capable of it.

Sure about that?  17 years and the live performances in between have
been sort of spotty.

> But too many acts bring NOTHING extra to the stage-- it's just a
> fan-adoration-fest.  For Kate, even *that* would be enough, eh?

I'd settle for that.

> But SHE won't let herself settle for that.)

That's Her problem.

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)

> There are plenty of touring artists that have "rabid" fans.  That has never
> stopped them before.

Not with enough goons to protect the perimeter.  The Beatles had
inadequate security.  The biz has gotten smarter since then and the
number or Gold's Gyms has skyrocketed.  Maybe that's another reason
to tour:  all those pumped up dudes. (Reason #12)

> Kate isn't too old,  she's only 38.  and how can she be tired with the BS
> involved touring?  she hasn't toured in 17 years.   I think your last sentence  is
> probably the real reason (at least, public reason): she would rather play (or is it
> work?) in the safety and comfort of her studio.

Anyone considered the possibility that at 38, her live chops stink?
You really have to do it to do it.  It don't come easy.

> I was watching the Lovehounds Collection video tape "B".  There's an excerpt of
> an interview in which Kate kinda answers the question about touring (and
> waiting 4 years for an album) by saying that we (the fans) are all "completely
> mad"...

Not completely *mad*. Just sort of "weirded out".  How would she know?

> The only conclusion I can come to is that Kate just doesn't want to tour

Probably true.

> and in fact, doesn't really care about her fans...

She hasn't met enough of us to care or care less.  Or has she?
Maybe Wieland IS kate? Oh shit...

> Why else would she be embarrassed by the fact that her fans asking
> her to tour or waiting for her next release for X number of years.

Hmm.  Maybe there is no Kate Bush.  Maybe they have a group
of actresses who play Kate Bush but the voice is made up
by *studio trickery*.  Only a tour would prove that wrong. (Reason #13)

> Kate writes music and makes records because she has nothing else to do

There is a house that needs decorating.

> ....not necessarily because she wants to be in this field of work.

She just barely is in this field of work.

My cut?  She did want to tour.  Her mom died.  Allan died.
She really got the wind taken out of her sails.  Whatever
else she is, she is one sensitive lady.  Give her time and
a lot of encouragement, and plain old, "we need ya, babe",
and maybe she will find a reason.  It could happen.

> From: matt.adams@wmcmail.wmc.ac.uk

> Do you not recognise that the recorded work *is* the art?  The
> Grateful Dead may well have decided that the live medium was
> where they were at, good for them.

That IS what some of them have said from time to time.
What Ron was saying, I think, is that the live performance
is different, absolutely unique, and irreplaceable as
a kind of emotional connection to the artist.  What we
may be seeing is Kate's reluctance to be connected
emotionally to her fans.

From: krys.thomas@wmcmail.wmc.ac.uk

> I have been reading the correspondence concerning people wanting
> Kate to tour.

Yep. Hot topic.  A lot of people care. More fun than having
to reread Jung to work out the metaphors in these posts.

> Of course a lot of people would love the chance, I myself for one,
> but it is not for us to decide.

No, it is for us to want.  It is for her to do.

> Kate will have her reasons for doing live work, or not, and
> it is not for us to challenge her on this aspect.

Why the heck not?  Are we carrots waiting for a watering pail?

> Live work is emotionally and physically demanding and not for everyone.

So then a corpse is making her albums?  Hmm... explains the pasty face
and why no one sees her in the daylight.

>... to expect Kate, or anyone, to do a tour or tours just because we
> want her to is unfair.  It's like saying, "OK we like the music but
> prove you really like us by touring."  That's crass.

I'm crass.  I'm also lewd, crude, rude and obnoxious.  Rock on!

Oh, poor little Kate Bush.  So rich and so overwhelmed with
her art that she just can't be bothered. Why do I have
this feeling I'm standing outside the gate at East Wickham throwing
rocks at a window?  C'mon Cathy!! The rest of us are going out
to skinny dip in the pond!!  Dad won't find out! John is out
on a date!  Paddy is making noises in the barn!  C'mon out
and play with the yardApes from the village.

> It could be a lot worse, if Kate didn't make music at all we wouldn't
> even be here discussing this topic so please be a little more
> understanding and selfless and stop expecting Kate to tour.

No.  Tell her to be a little more understanding and selfless
and get off her butt and do some shows for us.

> The imagination is an amazing thing, everyone who
> writes in these pages has one so use it!

I'm imagining standing in line to buy scalped front row seats.
I'm imagining sneaking up on Stev0 and .. no I'm not.

> Love and blessings (and I'm putting my umbrella up waiting for the flames...)

Yo! Krys!  No flames.  We are having fun together.  :-)
Until she gets another album done, we only have each other.

blessings on you all.  this was fun.

len the snavely