Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Len Bullard's comments

From: Ronald.Girardin@Dartmouth.EDU (Ronald Girardin)
Date: 12 Sep 96 09:24:23 EDT
Subject: Re: Len Bullard's comments
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Sender: owner-love-hounds

--- matt.adams@wmcmail.wmc.ac.uk wrote:

     Is this some sort of blackmail?  Kate doesn't owe us anything.  We
     choose to buy her products.  I for one am extremely grateful that Kate
     chooses to share her art with me.  I would never dream of asking her
     to do something, just because I, or however many other people want it.

     I believe that we fans do matter a great deal to Kate, I think it's
     incredibly cruel and insensitive for you to say  "Can you be so
     satisfied that we don't matter?"

     If Kate wants to tour I'm sure she will, but I would hate to think
     that she would do it out of a sense of guilt.  Thankfully I think Kate
     is above this kind of emotional blackmail.  How could anyone enjoy
     watching Kate perform if there was even a shadow of doubt that she was
     doing it because people had been on her back about it?

     Matt

--- end of quoted material ---

    hmmmmmmm..... Although we all appreciate Kate's recordings,  an artist can
only
truly demonstrate their art through performance.  Most of today's recordings
are so
far removed from actual playing music that it's ridiculous.  Studio trickery,
retake
upon retake.  Everything is calculated and thought out.  Only through live
performances
can we see the pure emotion that is projected by the musicians and the music
itself.

   Ask any true deadhead.  There is nothing like a Grateful Dead concert.  Now,
you may
ask yourself, "the Dead have nothing to do with Kate."  Well, you're right.
What I'm
trying to point out is that the Dead have built their career on live
performances as
opposed to recorded material.  Everynight they came on stage was a new
experience.
there were no set lists...the band members decided what to play based on
audience
feedback and of course their own feelings at the time.  So whatever songs they
ended
up playing was a reflection of that evening.  The same song was never played
the same
way twice.   This is an area where tori is about a light year ahead of Kate.
Tori
tours to give back to the audience what the audience is giving to her.   If in
doubt,
watch the Little Earthquake video.  Tori, explains this process herself.

    Kate as an artist is considered to be rather lazy and reclusive.  It's
alright
to be that way...but once in a while, the artist must reach out to her fans and
give
back all the love that is projected towards her.

    Kate's Tour of Life in 1979 was critically acclaimed for its innovative way
of
saetting up a stage performance.  Although her performacnes were still
"calculated",
it still left room for musical expansion.   The artist has immediate feedback
for
whatever the artist is trying out.  A new song, a variation on an existing
song, a
guitar solo.... whatever.  the artist can evaluate his/her music by the
reaction of
the audience.

    I think part of Kate's reluctance to tour is a result of the 1979 tour
itself.
there were too many costume changes and theatrics.  This becomes very
exhausting
for an artist.

    Over the years, Kate has lost some of fan support.  Maybe it's because we
don't
see her more often than we do.    We're about to celebrate the 3rd anniversary
of
The Red Shoes.  It was reported that she had no plans to do anything in
1997....
other than perhaps doodle on her piano, composing.   We won't see any
significant
Kate Bush release until 1998.... The waits are getting longer and longer.
Kate
is slowly sinking into oblivion....perhaps by her own doing.

    Kate has toured before, she can tour again.....it all depends on her
willingness
to reach out.....

peace

ron