Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: record label confusion

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 00:41:25 -0500
Subject: Re: record label confusion
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Kelley Hays-Gilpin wrote:

>And now, at our local emporium, I've purchased "Aspects of
>the Sensual World", an EP w/ Be Kind to My Mistakes (*****).
>This one says Novercia 1990, but Columbia, not EMI.
>Is EMI part of the Columbia empire or what?  If so, why did
>the stinkin' Columbia record club never offer much KaTe?

EMI is part of the EMI empire, and a vast empire it is too.  Columbia,
which is part of the Sony empire, has been Kate's label in the United
States since about 1989, following overwhelming apathy on the part of EMI
America.  I always assumed that changeover extended to her back catalogue
as well -- but possibly it didn't, which would explain the absence of past
Kate records from Sony's marketing arm.  I'm pretty sure other record clubs
have offered HoL and The Whole Story...

>I do assume
>(and very much hope) this one is legal!!!  Any clues,
>reassurances, slaps with a wet noodle? (As you can see,
>I am new to collecting--although a Kate fan since 1981,
>I never had the $ or the inclination to collect anything
>but archaeology books till this year).

RAB
a Kate fan since 1978, I never had the inclination to collect anything but
debts...