Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

record label confusion

From: Kelley Hays-Gilpin <Kelley.Hays-Gilpin@nau.edu>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 1996 17:07:14 -0700 (MST)
Subject: record label confusion
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
A1-type: MAIL
Alternate-recipient: prohibited
Sender: owner-love-hounds
UA-content-id: A1863ZWLUOSW7F

OK, it's quiet here, so I'll pose a newbie sort of question.
I used to think bootlegs were tapes of Dead concerts.  Now
I know they also include unauthorized CDs for which the
artist receives no compensation.  Earlier on this list,
I asked, if a Kate recording doesn't say EMI, is it a boot,
and Uli told me "in a word, yes."  Apparently, This Woman's
Work Extended sold by CDNow.com is a boot? It doesn't say
where it comes from on the jacket (the online catalog says
Germany) and it has no record label ID (the online catalog
*says* EMI, though.  If it really was, wouldn't they put
that somewhere on the disk?  Or is it part of a broken up
boxed set and they don't put it on every disk?  Odd.  BUT
this disk of B-sides is *absolutely* splendid.  Would
be extra-splendid if sanctioned by Our Lady, however--
to spend all that money and not have her see a penny is not
right).

And now, at our local emporium, I've purchased "Aspects of
the Sensual World", an EP w/ Be Kind to My Mistakes (*****).
This one says Novercia 1990, but Columbia, not EMI.
Is EMI part of the Columbia empire or what?  If so, why did
the stinkin' Columbia record club never offer much KaTe?

I do assume
(and very much hope) this one is legal!!!  Any clues,
reassurances, slaps with a wet noodle? (As you can see,
I am new to collecting--although a Kate fan since 1981,
I never had the $ or the inclination to collect anything
but archaeology books till this year).

cheers,
Kelley