Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-36 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Crass Moolahtopia Talk

From: Robb McCaffree <nsrjm@nursepo.medctr.ucla.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 00:38:11 -0700
Subject: Crass Moolahtopia Talk
To: rec-music-gaffa@ucsd.edu
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

mizzell@earthlink.net wrote:

> ...concerning buying tracks from artist to use in commercials
>
> ""...many agencies shy away from contacting original artist.  Andrew
> Chinich, executive producer and head of the broadcast department at
> TBWA Chiat/Day in New York, says that it's because "people think it's
> more money, but it's not.  I don't pay an artist more than I pay a
> music house."
>
>   He also notes that it can be cost-effective compared to copping the
> rights to a well known hit.

re: Kate Bush's Fruitopia spots:

> "I told her, "I could give $250,000 to Sony or I can throw it at you."
> Unlike many less-established bands, Bush had enough clout as an artist
> to take the deal.

I remember someone wrote in defense of Kate's work on Fruitopia
last year (and I think the spots are great and don't need to be
defended) that she probably made more from them than she had
from the entire commercial release of her catlog.

Guess that supposition's all shot to hell.     :- )

It's a big chunk o' change, to be sure, and an amount for which
she had only to come up with approximately five minutes of music
(excluding length variations of the same themes). But a couple
of big-selling singles could make her that much* -- and she's
had plenty.

I think it's a huge compliment that Chiat/Day thought that only
katemusic could make the innovative spots work, and illustrated
this point by using existing katemusic with the spots before
making their decision. Personally, I was just glad to have 'new'
katemusic and committed them to tape so I could listen to them
in the car. Perfect, happy driving music that fits in well with
TRS!

Robb

*I remember reading that Pat Benatar had donated her proceeds
from "We Belong" to USA for Africa and that the amount was
approximately $100,000. Now, "We Belong" was a #5 hit in a huge
market that Kate has yet to crack. But Kate, unlike Pat, has
been successful internationally...and her singles pretty
consistently land in the top 10 of several countries. I hope I'm
not assuming too much in thinking that she has made as much from
her big singles.