Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More hope for death

From: "Sawyer, Keith" <Keith.Sawyer@FMR.Com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:50 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: More hope for death
To: Love-Hounds@gryphon.com
Cc: Alan Stonebridge <Alan.Stonebridge@durham.ac.uk>
Sender: owner-love-hounds

I said:

>> I find it rather depressing that, after the ordeal, she now
>> has knowledge of a future she cannot change - and is still fated to walk
>> down that path.

And Alan replied..

>What's depressing about knowing you're going to live until you're old and
>have two children? I'd have thought that was a very happy and inspiring
>thought - at least she would know she has to make the best of her life
>from that point onwards because these two children will be dependent upon
>her when they are born.

>And it isn't necessarily that her life will be predetermined... all she
>sees of it is herself and the two children... that leaves so much to the
>imagination so there's plenty of things that could happen to her without
>her knowing about them beforehand... who is the children's father and
>what happens to him? What happens to all of the people already in her
>life?

I'm just commenting on having the foreknowledge of her life, and not whether
the circumstances will be positive or negative.  The 'depressing' part (for
me) is *knowing* that your path is predetermined - *knowing* that humans are
all really just unwitting actors.  While we would feel like we can make
decisions that have an impact on our lives, she would know the truth - the
script has already been written.  Those without that knowledge can at least
delude themselves.

Which is why I would prefer the skater's death - then it was just the
*potential* of her future weighing in her mind, and not something she was
fated to live through.  However, I have a feeling that this is her actual
destiny speaking to her, and that the narrator lives - the details are
pretty specific here.

Doesn't mean it's true, though!

keith