Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-35 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

FW: Talk to me about the Ninth Wave

From: "Birch, Keith" <BIRCK@msmail.acgs.qld.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 10:21:00 PDT
Subject: FW: Talk to me about the Ninth Wave
To: Kate Bush list <Love-Hounds@gryphon.com>
Encoding: 44 TEXT
Sender: owner-love-hounds

I enjoyed the 'narrativising' of TNW recently posted. A few points where
I'vce seen it differently ( the original offering - sorry, I couldn't trace
the author so can't name him/her  - comes first)...

And Dream of Sheep  ----  In the boat, she falls asleep
KFB - she's in the water with a lantern after the shipwreck and trying not
to fall asleep due to the extremely cold water; the waves, etc. are the
"white horses"  that she is actually side by side, like in a race.

     Under Ice           ----  A dream; the storm arrives
KFB - this is the first of a series of stream-of-consciousness/ thought
association episodes brought on by hypothermia. The woman's mind is
recalling either actual events from her past or scenes from books, movies,
etc. that she has retained in her memory, which now start to flood out in
this moment of physical duress. It could even be as simple as the old "life
flashed before my eyes" theory.

     Waking the Witch    ----  Wakes up, finding herself sinking
KFB - another stream-of-consciousness thought association, where her mind
flashes back to the treatment of witches, which includes drowing them.

     Watching you w/o me ----  In the face of death, 1) Grief
KFB - in the last moments of life - she is dying of hypothermia - she is
brought back to reality by her body's imminent death and goes through the
stages of realisation (and I'm not here)...

     Jig of Life         ----                        2) Struggle
KFB ... then the stages of anger and denial - an impassioned struggle
against death...

     Hello Earth         ----                        3) Acceptance
KFB... then resignation/acceptance, and she starts to think of her life
after death...

     Morning Fog         ----  The moment of her dying.
KFB... and then death itself, where she is one with all beings living and
passed on.

How's that? A lot of commonality, but maybe enough difference, particularly
interpreting  the early songs, to create some discussion?!

KEITH BIRCH (KFB)