Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: execute

From: Allen Brunson <brunson@techcontrol.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 1996 00:35:16 -0400
Subject: Re: execute
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

> "Execute" fits with the meter *much* better than a dippy two-syllable
> word like "enter" or "return" ever could.  KaTe is a poet, after all.
> These things matter. :)

(Several people said things along these lines.  I chose this one to
reply to, as representative of the lot.)

Meredith --

You're absolutely correct, "execute" DOES fit the meter better, etc.
But that's not the point.  To my ear, it makes it sound like Kate is
giving us yet another in a long line of media-presented images of
computer cliches.  If "enter" didn't fit the meter, then she should have
completely rephrased that line so she wouldn't need either "execute" OR
"enter."

But then Alexander Fuchs pointed out that she's probably being sly,
suggesting something with the word "execute" that I hadn't taken into
account, because I was too busy being revolted by the apparent lack of
computer savvy.  C'est la vie.

Allen
--
I don't trust you