Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1996-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Playing the numbers

From: Allen Brunson <brunson@techcontrol.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 22:26:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Playing the numbers
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: owner-love-hounds

Alan --

> The way the track builds up as it gets to the part saying "Hello, I
> know..." and all that - it's maybe it's not meant to be realistic, but
> more to portray the feeling that this person is getting from having
> the computer to 'talk' to... that it's their friend, and they feel
> comfortable with it - I mean, how else could she represent it
> realistically apart from a lyric like "Damn Windows - it's crashed
> again"?

Surprisingly, I find myself somewhat affected by your argument, a bit.

> Sure, the "I press execute" part is a badly chosen lyric, but
> that's one line out of the whole song...

It only takes one incorrect detail to destroy credibility, and that
one's a WHOPPER.  If I haven't been paying much attention to the song up
to that point (because this is my 83rd listening, because even Kate's
worst album is better than most artists' best), the "press execute" line
will be enough to make me cringe, anyway.  It makes me doubt whether or
not Kate has ever sat down in front of any computer other than a
Fairlight.

But I certainly respect you sticking up for Kate.  I know I do it.  The
most common complaint I hear is that she's precious, affected,
self-conscious, cutesy.  Even if you didn't already know it, you could
probably guess that she's the spoiled youngest child of an affluent
family.  I can kind of see that criticism, but I forgive it because Kate
has such an incredible range, and she tackles so much more in her music
than practically anybody else.

> Alan.

Oh, and I have an opinion on that, too: You spelled it wrong!

Allen
--
I don't trust you
Why should you trust me?  -- The Clash